Bitten or Attacked By A Dog?
Speak with an experienced dog bite attorney today!
FREE CASE REVIEW – CALL NOW
Dog Bite Attorney in Bronxville New York 10708
According to New York Animal Services, there are over 2,500 new dog bite cases annually. Unfortunately, even minor dog bites could result in long-term medical problems requiring costly medical care and negatively impacting your lifestyle.
Our attorneys have spent the last 20 years helping Bronxville dog attack victims and will assess your case for free. By seeking professional legal advice from a qualified attorney, you increase your chances of being properly compensated for your injuries. We are available to assist you. Just call our 24 Hour Hotline to speak with an attorney right now. Call 1-888-406-7163
Bronxville Dog Bite Laws
The state has passed a “Dog Bite” statute in the Civil Code. A dog owner is automatically held responsible for any damages suffered as long as the bite occurred either:
- In a public place
- While the victim was lawfully on private property, or
- On the dog owner’s property, as long as the victim was there legally
The owner is held responsible regardless of whether the dog has ever been vicious or has shown signs of aggression in the past.
This law makes it easier for victims of attacks or injuries to get compensation for the damage that the dog has caused. All the victim must do is show that the dog bit them without provocation to recover compensation. Speak with a dog bite injury lawyer at our office today to see how this statute might help you recover damages.
Dog Owner Liability in 10708
Under the “dog bite” statute, the victim is not required to prove the owner was negligent for the victim to recover compensation. This is known as “strict liability.” To clarify, even if the owner did everything right (had the dog on a leash, took the dog to training classes, etc.), the fact that the dog bit you is enough to make the owner liable for your injuries.
This statute creates an exception to the general rule that an owner is not liable without prior knowledge of a dog’s vicious nature. Hicks v. Sullivan (1932) 122 Cal.App. 635, 639.
You Only Have Two Years To File a Claim After A Dog Bite
The state, states that you only have two years from the time of the attack to file a dog bite personal injury claim. Attorneys refer to this as the “statute of limitations” in dog bite cases.
Given how long it can take to properly investigate before filing a claim, it is usually in your best interests to contact a dog bite attorney immediately.
Collecting Damages After a Dog Attack
Depending on the circumstances, the dog’s owner may be required to compensate you for:
- Expenses for medical treatment
- Past and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Costs of future treatment for disfigurement, and
- Physical Therapy
- Wrongful Death
Sources of Compensation
In most cases, the bite injury damages are covered by the dog owner’s:
- Homeowners’ insurance policy, or
- Rental insurance policy
This means that the dog bite victim will likely be negotiating with the insurance company to get compensation. Victims often get monetary damages for bite injuries by settling a claim outside of court. Unfortunately, the insurance companies often make low settlement offers. Having an experienced dog bite lawyer in your corner improves your position.
If you are not able to settle, your case may go to court. Injury Trial Lawyers has extensive experience litigating cases and convincing a jury to award money to dog bite victims. We’ll put together a strong case to convince a jury to give you enough money to cover all your losses.
Causes of Dog Attacks
Regardless of size or age, dogs will bite if provoked. The most common reasons why dogs bite are:
- The animal is defending its territory
- The dog is scared or was startled
- The dog is protecting something it perceives as valuable like food
- It is sick and wants to be left alone
Common Dog Bite Accident Injuries
It is essential that you know the full extent of the damage that the bite has caused before agreeing to a settlement. Dog bites commonly cause permanent disfigurement and need expensive treatment such as surgery as well as ongoing long-term medical care.
According to the Center for Disease Control, arm/hand bites account for 48.2% of all injuries, with leg/foot injuries in second at 27.5% and head/neck injuries in the minority at 24.3%. However, over 64% of injuries to children 4 and younger occurred in the head/neck region, while injuries to the extremities increased with age.
Beyond the physical damage, there is emotional pain and suffering associated with permanent disfigurement for which you deserve compensation. Your personal injury attorney can help to ensure that you get fairly compensated for all damages resulting from the bite.
What To Do After Being Bitten by a Dog
- Seek Medical Attention: If a dog bites you or a loved one (especially a young child), seek medical attention immediately. Given the severe scarring that can occur from dog bites, quick and expert medical attention could mitigate the severity and/or appearance of scars in the future.
- Call Animal Control: The County Department of Animal Services should also be called promptly. In fact, pursuant to county Ordinance 62.615(b), it is a misdemeanor for the dog’s owner not to notify animal control. This requirement is necessary to make sure the dog is quickly isolated temporarily for at least 10 days to check for rabies’ symptoms. This can also help identify whether the particular dog has already been identified as either a “potentially dangerous dog” or a “vicious dog.”
- Take Pictures: When possible, and when it would not interfere with prompt medical treatment, photos should be taken of the injuries as soon as possible. Photos taken before and after treatment are important for evidentiary purposes. While medical records provide an excellent source of information regarding the nature of the injuries sustained and the treatment provided, photos are invaluable if there is a potential claim against a dog owner. Of course, any records related to the incident and treatment should be maintained.
- Get Names of Witnesses: In addition to photos, make sure to write down the names of all witnesses and the dog’s owner. This information is critical should it become necessary to depose witnesses at a later time.
- Seek Legal Representation: Finally, seeking experienced legal representation as soon as possible can help maximize any potential compensation for dog bite victims.
CALL US TODAY FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW – 1-888-406-7163
We are not afraid to stand up to big New York insurance companies, nursing homes, or any company not willing to provide proper compensation.
As we fight to protect your right to dog bite compensation, we will communicate with you regularly and treat your case with the importance it deserves.
Our Service To You
- Free Case Review
- Interview witnesses
- Get expert opinions on the medical harm
- Negotiate on your behalf
- Go to trial (if necessary)
Bronxville /ˈbrɒŋksvɪl/ is a village in Westchester County, New York, located about 15 miles (24 km) north of midtown Manhattan. It is part of the town of Eastchester. The village comprises 1 square mile (2.5 km2) of land in its entirety, approximately 20% of the town of Eastchester. As of the 2010 U.S. census, Bronxville had a population of 6,323. As of 2016, Bronxville was rated the number one most expensive suburb around America’s ten largest cities by CNBC with a median home value of $2.33 million. In 2017 it was ranked 8th in Bloomberg’s “America’s 100 Richest Places”.
Victim of Dog Bite or Attack?
Speak with an experienced dog bite lawyer today!
Get The Attention & Care You Deserve
After getting attacked by a dog, you need personalized attention to your case.
Many attorneys often take on more than they can handle. Either because their cases are too complex or they take on too many cases. This makes it impossible for the clients to receive the attention they deserve.
An attorney who provides “assembly line” representation should not represent you. We believe that no two cases are the same. We take the time to learn the unique circumstances of your case and your injuries. By doing this, we are better prepared to negotiate on your behalf and maximize your compensation.
You should also not be represented by an attorney who simply passes you off to an inexperienced associate after signing you up.
We know that Bronxville has many dog bite attorneys to choose from. By hiring us, you will have an experienced advocate dedicated to your success every step of the way.
Under New York law, you have the right to recover full compensation for all personal injuries. We will put our decades of experience to work for you so that you get the money you deserve.
Aggressive Dog Bite Representation
Numerous years of combined experience handling specialized cases just like yours.
Additionally, we are well-known throughout all Bronxville courthouses. We have the experience and the reputation you want when hiring an attorney. More importantly, the dog owners, insurance companies, etc., know that we are respected in the legal community. This gives you a distinct advantage when negotiating with them.
Many cases settle out of court. Therefore, you need an effective negotiator on your side. Our attorneys have spent several years defending insurance companies against
dog bite claims. We understand how they think and the games they play to deny you compensation. This gives you the upper hand during the negotiation process.
To recover from a dog bite situation, you must prove the defendant was responsible for your harm. We have a strong network of investigators and professionals to help build your case and get you the proper compensation. Proving damages can be complicated, but our lawyers have a proven track record of excellent results.
Get the Compensation You Deserve After Being Attacked By A Dog
Quick but low settlements
After a dog bite or full attack, the insurance company will usually want to resolve the matter quickly. They know you might need money right away, so they offer a low settlement in the hope that you’ll accept.
Before accepting any settlement offer, remember that they are not your friend. The insurance company has one goal in mind: settle the matter quickly and cheaply, regardless of your pain and suffering.
What is fair compensation?
The problem is that often times after a serious accident, it’s hard to know how much money you will need to be fairly compensated for your loss.
Our experienced legal team knows that you might need long-term care, and will fight to make sure you get enough money to compensate you for your future losses.
Get expert advice when it matters
After being bitten by a dog, it is in your best interest to meet with a Bronxville dog bite attorney to better understand the value of your claim.
Call us to make sure you get the compensation you deserve – for you and your family.